It’s been a couple of months since my last post and I realized that an update is long overdue! I began this project with some basic questions (see “Finding Answers to Serious Questions“)that I think every Other Than has and now it’s getting down to the nitty gritty. There’s an expression, “the devil is in the details” but I’m finding that the peace is in the details. As I find more answers, I learn more about what The Other Thans can do for combat service-members with bad discharges. I’ve also come to learn that there is truly a need for these veterans. The VA denies them any “benefit” and though there are several great Veterans organizations, they often have the same qualifications as the VA to gain access to assistance.
Our organization’s position is simple. If you fought for this country, you don’t need to explain anything to anyone about why you do or do not deserve benefits. Register with our organization and we will go out and find the funds to get you taken care of.
Alright well this is an organizational update so here are the highlights:
– The Other Thans Inc. has been officially registered as a non-profit 501(c)3 organization here in Dallas, TX! We are still waiting on our tax-exemption but it should be here before the end of Q1, 2017.
– Our Directors include former Marine Corps. Infantryman Corporal Joseph Zoleta and former Navy Corpsman Ryan Cox. Both of these Directors served in Operation Iraqi Freedom during the initial campaign into Iraq in 2003. I have had the honor of fighting along side both of them.
– Our website continues to gain traffic and several individuals have already registered as Other Thans. This will be a major focus point for our organization in the coming months. We must find every single Other Than and let them know we see them!
– An official FOIA request has been requested and is awaiting review/response from the Department of Defense. These results should give a clear data point as to how many service members were discharged Other Than Honorably, with a combat action, since 2001.
– In January, we will begin soliciting small dollar donations out of New York and are excited about the potential results.
– Our Facebook page is gaining some traction with nearly 650 page likes/follows. Be sure you are liking/sharing/following!
– Our E-Commerce is setup to work on the site and will go live with The Other Thans apparell Q1, 2017.
– Our official hashtag is #theyseeme . After years of neglect and disapproval, we want every Other Than to say “They see me.” This also falls in line with our contact email firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you everyone for your overwhelming support! I read every Facebook comment and am touched by the responses we have gotten thus far. I look forward to getting to know more Other Thans and if you know an Other Than please send them to our site to register